Finally got my hands on a pound cake tin (I know, it’s ridiculous to have taken that long), and promptly went on a pound cake baking binge. I blame Grace for getting me started on this pound cake dream, having purchased a slice of her heavenly lemon poppy seed pound cake at the For A Golden Home bake sale. It’s divine! Also very happily pounced on the opportunity to use the last of the yuzu juice Joel brought back from Japan. This recipe yields a rather light pound cake with a lovely crumb and balanced sweetness, aided by substituting milk for buttermilk. Yuzu juice gives a beautiful depth of flavour to otherwise one-dimensional tartness, while poppy seeds add a delicious crunch. Perfect for tea time! Or as a birthday cake, which this one eventually became. Happy birthday Alyssa!
Note: Yuzu juice can also be bought online at Rakuten, for about SGD 13 a bottle.
Yuzu Buttermilk Poppy Seed Pound Cake with Yuzu Drizzle
Makes 2 pound cakes
You will need:
225g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cup caster sugar
2 2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
70ml yuzu juice
4 eggs, room temp
2 tbsp poppy seeds
3/4 cup icing/confectioner’s sugar
2 tbsp yuzu juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix yuzu juice and buttermilk.
3. Add eggs to butter one at a time, beating at medium speed until well incorporated after each egg.
4. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, and the buttermilk mixture in 2 batches, alternating between each of them. Use a wooden spoon to mix until just incorporated after each addition – do not overmix.
5. Fold in the poppy seeds and divide batter amongst 2 pound cake tins. Bake for 1h-1h 15 mins, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and top is golden brown. Cracks will give pound cake a rustic look. Cool on a wire rack.
6. While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Mix icing sugar and yuzu juice in a small bowl until fully blended. Drizzle over a cooled cake. Enjoy!