The couple of days before exams are always so unpredictable – you could either be in a whirlwind of frenzy or an eerie state of calm. Probably depends on just how close you are to the eye of the storm. I much rather prefer baking up a storm, in this case a great no-bake blueberry cheesecake that was incredibly beautiful to both eat and look at. I think no-bakes generally have less room for error, especially on the hygiene side, but they can be really rewarding while building one’s patience. A principle I need to port over into work for sure…
No-Bake Blueberry Tofu Cheesecake
Adapted from AllanBakes’ Really Good Cheesecakes book (thanks Joel!)
You will need:
500g silken tofu
1.25 tbsp gelatin
1 tbsp room temp + 2 tbsp hot water
200g caster sugar
250g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla essence
200ml whipping cream
~15 digestive biscuits
125g butter, melted
1 tbsp lemon juice
1.25 tbsp sugar
1. Drain tofu of water using cheesecloth/paper towels, approx 1.5 hours. Tofu should have the appearance of a “tongue left out in the open”. (I don’t know where these descriptions come from).
2. Meanwhile, crush digestive biscuits – you can use a food processor or rolling pin – and mix with the melted butter. Press mixture into base of the cake tin and chill in the fridge.
3. In a cold bowl, whip whipping cream to soft peaks.
4. Mix gelatin powder with room temp water until pastey. Let stand for 5 min, then dissolve the paste with the hot water and set aside.
5. Whisk tofu until creamy. Add cream cheese and whisk until incorporated and batter is smooth. Whisk in gelatin mixture, sugar and vanilla essence until everything is fully incorporated and batter is slightly shiny. (We used an electric whisk but you can use a stand mixer for this if you have one)
6. Fold whipped cream in until fully incorporated.
7. Remove tin from fridge and add batter in. Chill overnight.
8. To make blueberry topping, add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to boil. Lower to a simmer and keep stirring until sauce has thickened slightly, approx 7 mins. To make it even thicker, you can add some corn starch. Let topping cool slightly then add to cheesecake.
Enjoy! If you do make it, let me know what you think 🙂